Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Story Continues...

I have fallen quite ill during the past week...

I was already feeling Not OK on Monday morning...yet I thought that by consuming the medication prescribed by the doctor, coupled with drinking plenty of water and taking some rest, I would be able to keep everything in check and recover soon...but...

By nightfall (on Monday) I was feeling rather weak, and I thought a couple of hours of rest would revive me...However, to my horror, I realised that the longer I lay in bed, the weaker I was becoming - I was losing strength with every passing moment...!!! The instant that this realisation struck me, I tried to rise and get out of bed...and...at that moment, I realised that...I...couldn't...get...up...AT ALL...!!!

I kept trying to rise...yet strength just eluded me...Finally, I had to admit defeat...With no options left, I finally managed to send an S.O.S. to Hing after much struggle - the nearest help I know I can depend on (it was around 11:30pm), and Hing, who was just about to go out then, misunderstood my emergency message, thinking that I wanted to go and return something to him...

I stared blankly at his reply message...Suppressing a sigh and mustering every last bit of strength I could possibly gather, I called him up and mumbled out my S.O.S....

After what seemed like a really long wait whilst struggling to keep myself awake, I finally heard pounding on my room door...Help is here at last! Yet, one problem remained - I couldn't rise to unlock the door...! Trying hard to get up and, finally, forcing out whatever last drop of strength there was left in my every nerve and muscle, I managed to stagger to the door and somehow unlocked it...

Supporting myself on wobbly legs and leaning heavily against the doorpost, I stared into two familiar faces...their voices floated over to my ears yet my mind barely captured what they were uttering - a spiltting headache which resembled a spear piercing through my brain and a horrible wash of nausea overwhelmed me and forced me to fall back into bed before I could answer their questions...

I couldn't remember much after that...all I could recall was that I lay in bed, in a lot of pain, weak, nauseous, one moment feeling like my entire body was on fire and the next shivering as if I were in Iceland...and Tracy and Hing talking to me...Couldn't remember much what they said except that I had to see the doctor...

I was sent to the clinic...and the doctor did a blood test...After that everything just ran on auto-pilot mode, couldn't remember much...All I knew was that for the next day (Tuesday) I was in bed for the entire day...slept through the whole day - first time I ever did anything like that...!!! When evening fell I tried to rise and found that I could get up! Hallelujah!! Kept sipping 100Plus throughout the evening...

By nightfall Vui Theng came bringing me dinner (porridge), and she even went as far as "surrendering" to me her own dinner so that there could be something for me for breakfast the next morning...!!! Really, really, really touched by her selflessness...

After resting for one whole day I thought I should have had enough of rest so went about things as usual the day after that (Wednesday) - went to church in the afternoon to help out with preparations for the Church Wide Prayer Meeting as I had promised MiaowMee the week before that I would go and help her...initially was supposed to help at cafe only but then there was not enough people serving on that day so ended up being usher and "door-keeper" as well...By the end of the day, one word concluded it all: T-I-R-E-D...

Thursday was "Jacky's day" as he would be leaving us on Friday. Been out with him the entire day - breakfast, lunch, shopping, dinner, supper...Hahaha...Really exhausted but no regrets... - he is really like a brother to me: both of us hailed from the same hometown...

Had to arise early on Friday to send Jacky off at the air terminal...Going to miss him so much...May not be seeing him again for at least three years...After that, joined Victor's share group for lunch and fellowship because he was already late and rushing to meet up with his group members - we slightly "over-tarried" at the air terminal...Then, went home and continued with my "everyday job"...My current job? A full-time "Job Hunter"...! Hahaha...Also, redrafted my resume that evening...

Maybe...I still needed to rest more...because...as the evening wore on, I could feel all the frenzies and rushing to-and-fro these few days gradually taking a toll on me - felt seriously EXHAUSTED...When I finally managed to reach Tracy's house for share group meeting that night (practically DRAGGED myself to her house), I was not in good shape...

The weekends were devoted to serving and helping out at church as usual. Only, sickness has begun to creep back since the past few days - sore throat, cold, cough, fatigue...(I thought the antibiotics which I finished on Monday were supposed to have killed ALL the viruses...!!!) Maybe I really need to rest more before I can start jumping around like a monkey...


Something I learnt from my recent illness:

(I) Don't ever take fever for granted - it can kill you!!!

(II) 100Plus is the best drinking fluid for a sick patient.

(III) Don't try to push yourself too hard and don't overstress your maximum limit before you are completely healed - it will lead to aftermath sickness which will prolong your period of illness!

(IV) Always listen to the advice and counsel of those whom you KNOW you SHOULD listen to because if you don't, you will just wish that you HAD!!

(V) And, last but not least, get PLENTY of REST (as much as possible - in fact, the More the Better!) when you fall ill - you will thank God for it afterwards when you do...


A lot of people prayed for me when the news leaked out that I was very ill...Just want to say "Thank you so much" to all those who had been praying for me...God bless you all...


I am now on the road to recovery (hopefully)...
Still battling the viruses (cold, cough, sore throat...go away! Shoo~shoo~!!)...
And, the story continues...


No comments: